View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2018, 10:12 am   #22
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: What to replace a RIFA X2 with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Anyhoo, this is off topic. I wonder why the kit put togetherer's used them in the first place, it's not as if they're that much cheaper than an equivalent with a better rep.
Yes, I did wonder that and was tempted to drop him a polite note. The kit came as a 'freebie' when I purchased an expansion ROM/RAM board from a Retro computing enthusiast niche supplier. All it consists of is 4 caps (2 RIFAs, 2 Alu electrolytics), 3 short pieces of heat shrink tubing, a mains cable exit gland and a number of cable ties. Apparently the kit is cheap enough compared to the cost of postage that the seller has offered to throw one in as a freebie on request. The kit does serve its purpose and the extra bits are perhaps thoughtful as one naturally might want to consider replacing the aging mains cable while working on the PSU. Since he had done me a favour (in addition to providing the freebie kit), I didn't want to sound ungrateful or complaining, so I have left it at that. However, being aware of previous discussions on this board, I felt it reasonable to take the precaution of asking for advice before fitting these types of RIFA caps.

I note a couple of reassuring comments about the Suntan, so thanks for that. This is not for a paid for repair - the computer is my own, but I will probably still use a Panasonic in this PSU as I already have one to hand, but keep the Suntan for another less critical use.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 13th Apr 2018 at 10:20 am.