Thread: End of an era.
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2018, 1:58 am   #56
hans
Heptode

Default Re: End of an era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
I had a repair shop in the mid eighties, and I thank my lucky stars that after about five years of trading, I saw the future and decided to get out, whilst I was still in my late 20’s.

It was becoming, even then, more difficult to get service info and certain specific parts for a lot of gear, unless you were a ‘dealer’.

As a one man band, you had to be prepared to tackle almost anything that came through the door.

Whilst I enjoyed the faultfinding and the general process of the business, it was becoming obvious that things weren’t going to get any better....
This is more or less my story. By the mid 90's I quit. After that I have some times been given defective sets that I have repaired and sold, more or less for "fun". The last set I sold was last year. It was a 42" LCD that polish guy picked up for 30£ after being advetised for a while.

I still work with repairs, but now on equipment that costs 2+ millions £. Even on this equipment the customers think the repairs (and maintenance) is expensive. (We charge less than the car garages for our services.)