Thread: ECL86 issues
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2019, 10:50 am   #17
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: ECL86 issues

Rob,
I would reiterate my suggestion, back in post 7, for vintage radio folk to get together with other enthusiasts nearby, & consider pooling surplus decent valves. If someone has a valve tester - all the better.
Another option would be to build your own basic DC tester. Thoughts & designs have been talked about extensively in past Forum threads, over the years. If your field of vintage radio collecting/repairing uses mainly B7G, B9A, IO, & MO, then with simple wafer switch circuitry it should be a reasonably easy task. Especially if two or three heads get together.
A fiver spent here & there at BVWS Swapmeets & other large sales/auctions, or at local ARS Junk sales should source 2nd hand switches & pots, meters, valve holders, LV & HV transformers, & general components. For measurement of Ia, then using an AVO8 on its trip protected DC mA Currents ranges is a good idea.
Many of us valve & valve testing enthusiasts will be saddened to hear that your valve supplier doesn't test his valves properly, or offer a refund.
In my experience, and hearing of other folk's experiences, there was a common practice in years past, for Radio/TV repair folk to put suspect "Pulls" into the boxes that new valves came in. The fact that many a valve has corrugated cardboard &/or old brown paper wrapped around it - is no guarantee that it is NOS. Heaps of these old "squirreled away" boxed valves still appear from time to time.

Regards, David