View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2019, 11:33 pm   #13
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: Embedded Control for a newbie

Thanks for the links to your own projects, I shall come back to those again. I shall take George's approach to using an Arduino as a test bed for an AVR system, that's exactly what I want, and I note the general thumbs-down for C++

In the first place I will learn how to set up a single frequency from the DDS modules and a precision of about 1 in 10^6 will be super. Next I will want to be able to set several discrete frequencies, as you might want for band switching. I shall look at the details of the ProgRock unit, might do what I want, but I need to explain why I mentioned using the analog input for channel switching. I'm not trying to tune or sweep anything with a multi-turn pot, I just want a few discrete frequencies. Say you want to simulate the 'band' crystals for a 6-band transceiver, would you use a 6-way switch and tie up 6 binary inputs, or would you try to find a hex switch and use 3 of the inputs? A programmer's answer would be to use push buttons, but if you are upgrading an old transceiver you would already have a 6-way rotary switch, so it seems sensible to make a ladder of 10k's around it and decode the ADC data with a few lines of of code (that's only one input line!)

So my first step is to make the traffic lights with Python, and when I can do that I'll be back with a few more questions.

It's good here