View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2019, 10:31 pm   #26
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Save our 2 Metre Band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I'm surprised your IC-910 doesn't have CTCSS - surely Icom would have designed for world-markets. CTCSS has been the standard access-mode in the US since repeaters started emerging back there in the 60s, and I doubt Icom would knowingly have excluded themselves from the US market by producing a non-CTCSS-capable radio.
I was quite surprised to find the UK version lacked it. I only found out when I got the thing home. I'd bought a full set of options for it, narrow filters, and DSP boards for both receivers, TCXO, and the chatty geisha girl. But there's no CTCSS add in option. I wondered if there was a microphone, but didn't find one. I was working on the principle that rigs needed to be fully stuffed because the option boards would be unobtainable before you decide you need them.

I believe the US model has CTCSS but 1750Hz isn't available in the same box. For a VHF radio that gets pushed towards the £2k mark when fully equipped, I'd expect better. I'd assumed there would be CTCSS, integrated with memories and all that.

Anyway, the 2m is far under-utilised. If we lose it many people will be upset, quite a lot will be incensed, but only the few who use it will have actually lost anything.