View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2015, 8:40 am   #70
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Test equipment for valve radio repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
I would always pair an analogue readout signal generator for RF with a digital frequency
meter, so you don't have to guess what frequency you're on.
Absolutely! This would not have been possible 30 years ago due to the incredible cost of frequency counters. Everything is given away today with a packet of cornflakes.
RF generators, even basic designs can be set up to give a satisfactory result.

Don't forget the humble neon test screwdriver and a 15W pygmy bulb on a length of 'test wire'.
As a very young kid that bulb got many jumble sale receivers working.
Bright = high AC
Dull and maybe pulsing slightly = DC.

You learn by the reaction of the bulb filament to the character of the voltage rather like the speed of the AVO 8 needle when presented with a S/C. Happy Days!The lessons learned by these very simple bits of 'high tech' test gear proved of great value in later life when called in to carry out an emergency repair without warning, tools or any test equipment.

Tip: Don't tell anyone what you do for a living. If you do you will discover a pile of ancient radios, television receivers, record players, Baby Belling cookers and gas fires awaiting your attention when attending a 'friends' invite to dinner or a house party.

Tell everyone you are an UNDERTAKER! You will probably not be bothered..

Many elderley customers [mosly ladies] always had a household tool kit in the kitchen drawer containing screwdrivers and a pair of pliars. A test lamp could soon be cobbled together.
I doubt if that would be the case with the younger generation or am I being a sad old man?

Of course at that time I was dealing with tough valve monochrome receivers and of course these temporary methods would not be good practise today!
Few would have produced a scope from the wardrobe but it did happen once but luckily I did not need to use it!

Happy memories but such a long journey. Regards, John.