View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2019, 10:53 pm   #14
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: 746 phone with extra buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Hi, whilst looking very much like a 746 this phone is most likely one end of a Plessey/Ericsson Plan system which were supplied on private rental to companies and were often used on PAX systems which didn't touch the public telephone network.

SEC'Y is indeed short for Secretary so this would have been the Manager end of the installation (often referred to as CHIEF by the phone supplier).
The additional contacts on the switches are for line/extension switching and this model looks like it may even contain a ringing generator.

I have a copy of a catalogue somewhere which may include your phone, feel free to PM me if you would like a copy to look at

Edit - I have just re read some of the comments and suspect that it may well be the equivalent of Plan 12A that Ian has posted a link to, the additional bell being contained in the phone rather than externally as shown on the N diagram.

Regards

Andrew
But the phone in the photo has SEC'T not SEC'Y. Private companies used different terminology to the GPO/PO/BT.
Plus you may not have noticed it is a New Zealand telephone in New Zealand. As I mentioned the 700 style phones that I have from New Zealand working on my NZPO PABX were made by GEC in New Zealand. Hence the different DC bell - non-BPO pattern.