Thread: The Cyclops
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2018, 4:41 pm   #5
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: The Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekmoore2007 View Post
Cameras are very hard made a few Mechanical low def tv cameras in the past they were fun . this Vidicon is the first i have got an image out of an image tube apart from a PMT .https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Thanks for the reply Harry
Broadening this discussion slightly, here are pictures of two colour NBTV cameras I once made. Though these pictures are not very informative (I admit),

The first one, seen on the tripod, used a pierced gramophone record as the scanning disc and was 'two-colour' with a club photocell for the red end and a phomultiplier for the blue. At the receiver, there was a pot mixing the red and blue channels, to produce a sort of artificial 'green'. This worked a bit like a tint control and could give surprisingly convincing results.

The other one shown here: the 'big box', gave full colour RGB pictures. This used a laser-cut stainless steel scanning disc and three photomultipliers as pick-up tubes, including a special one which was red sensitive, having been very kindly supplied by Sean Williams (a poster on this board). I think it was Brian Summers who supplied the dichroic splitter block - also very kind. Note the odd-looking 'test card' below.

Yes, as Harry says, colour cameras are hard to do with mechanical NBTV, mainly because when you try to mix the coloured light channels evenly - this reduces still further the dire sensitivity obtained when using a Nipkow Disc.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colour Camera.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	164648   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	164649