View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 4:02 pm   #18
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: What is the worst VCR to work on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
The Mitsubishi was the HS-304. What were they thinking of?
If we got a double decker in we quoted to service both decks - mode switches, belts pinch rollers and so on. As you were effectively working blind it was best to get everything done in one hit as long as the customer accepted the estimate which was almost as much as for two VCRs! Despite this we saw quite a few - they were popular with lower end wedding video makers or dubious tape rental outlets.
I didn't do a huge amount of VCRs during my career as I had a full time video engineer who was brilliant but a little protective of his workshop and repairs.
I do remember that Mitsubushi though! When he went on holiday if I cleared most of the VCR repairs he would comment Oh it looks as if I'm not needed. If I left a few it would be It looks as if no one did anything while I was away! so I had to leave a few but not too many! We nicknamed the plastic c rap Philips (they gave a clue there didn't they!) "the Trainset" as it looked like a child's plastic toy with all those plastic gears! One day I came up to his workshop with a mug of tea and he said "Thomas didn't like the fat pinch roller, so he snapped him off" ! He always fixed them but he didn't like them much.
One huge Norwich based dealer we bought ex rentals from cleared the lot out they complained to Philips that the early models were so bad they were either credited for them or maybe they were replaced? Either way Philips didn't want the original ones back and I bought a van full very cheap!
Trev's face was a picture when he saw that lot come in!
Some dealers didn't like the 6462 much we often had those come in sent by other dealers for repair but we got on all right with them. Like TV sets i think it was a case of what you got used to.
The Amstrad Double decker was a pile of crap! Again Freemans sold loads to the average lorry driver and his wife we had a chap who copied a tape and then used that copy to produce more having sent the original tape back the copy of the copy on an Amstrad was almost unwatchable!
Some Amstrad stuff was OK though we had a LP machine recording all day 6 days a week from our security camera, it ran for years with only the occasional head clean.
We did loads of the exploding Samsung machines, they went off like something in a film by Stephan King! The display went very bright and then your girlfriend started choking... How they didn't cause a fire is anyone's guess!
Bring back the 3V22 !

Rich