View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2006, 12:46 pm   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Converting component to S-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Manton View Post
Component contains luminance and colour difference signals; S-Video is PAL/NTSC encoded chrominance plus luminance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
In S video the Y signal is untouched. The Cb and Cr signals are quadrature modulated on to a 4.43MHz subcarrier to make the C signal. A colour burst is added at the start of each active line to synchronise a 4.43MHz crystal at the decoder. The subcarrier itself is suppressed so that for a monochrome picture the C signal is zero apart from the burst. I won't quote the full PAL equations here nor discuss the phase alternation in PAL.
Thanks, this is all sounding like a bit more than I intended - I didn't realise the PAL encoding was between component and S-Video. It is looking like splitting the component video is going to be a lot more straightforward.

My other option is tracing the pin connections are on the video card - it uses a 7 pin mini DIN connector and comes with a breakout cable for component and an S-Video to composite adapter, which would indicate all signals are present. If so (they could be on the three 'middle' pins) I'll look at just building a breakout cable if I can find a suitable 7 pin mini DIN plug.

Thanks for your help.

One other thought - in standard VHS VCRs are the Y and C signals ever separate at any stage? Just had a thought about capturing old VHS tapes with better quality...(sorry, drifting off topic)

Cya
Andrew