View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 12:24 pm   #16
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: French polishing for beginners.

Hi,

Thanks William; yes Axminster are very good.

I’m pleased to add the before and after pictures as the cabinet is now completed. I wanted to repair the chassis but the weather is so cold and dark making this difficult so I’ve temporarily assembled the set for a photo shoot.

I did a quick search regarding “toner” as mentioned by Jim and can offer the following website which covers this in detail. Also for members wishing to see more cabinet restorations may I suggest an American site called Phil’s old radios and look under gallery.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...oner_Tips.html

http://www.antiqueradio.org/welcome.htm

T-cut is mentioned many times and is a product so well known as it seems to have been around forever. I’m aware T-cut is very well regarded by many using it and I’ve also used it for many years but I’ve never liked it. I’ve used it many times on cars and found it to be very hard work; blending each section was difficult and if used in summer it would quickly dry leaving me with a nightmare of a job trying to remove it.

Since starting to restore radio cabinets I’ve tried to use T-cut again; I found I could control it better on smaller radio panels but after putting a great deal of effort into French polishing and wanting to burnish the finish; it would drive me mad; in certain light and viewed at a certain angle I could always see a pronounced haze in the finish. This also applies to a well known burnishing cream I bought. I wondered if this was caused by something like ammonia being added to these products and this having a slight etching effect. I certainly have never liked the feel of it either. I’m sincerely sorry if I sound to be derogatory about these products but wanted something better.

I surf many radio websites and in America I kept seeing products by a company called Meguiars being highly recommended by radio cabinet restorers. After a bit of searching I found Meguiars advertised on eBay and quickly bought two products these being Meguiars professional show car glaze #7 and Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 #9. I used the swirl remover and right from the start was very impressed; it smelled much better and was much thicker being like a thick cream; I applied it using a soft cloth with hard circular movements and what a joy it was to remove; it just buffed off whether wet or dry but the finish it leaves is just brilliant; I’ve used it on this cabinet and followed with a final buffing using the car glaze. Both products also feel nice in use.

For anyone interested in trying these and more Meguiars products I’m happy to recommend the following website where they can be bought here in the UK.

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/...r_2_0__09.html

Current prices are Swirl remover #9 £12.39 Inc. VAT and Car glaze #7 £11.36 Inc. VAT. Both are post free to the UK.
Normally I can achieve an excellent French polish finish direct from the rubber but with the difficulties encountered with this cabinet decided to burnish it to bring out the mirror finish and it certainly now glows; in fact I’ve had problems trying to take the pictures due to reflection.

I never liked the look of this radio thinking it to be ugly; I now hang my head in shame and apologize to it as I now think it a very handsome set indeed and still can’t believe what a difference a bit of loving care has made.

Once again many thanks to everyone for their kind support and may I wish the very best of luck to all trying French polishing for the first time. Regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Limited space..jpg
Views:	798
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	30737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush original_2401.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	30738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Much better..JPG
Views:	837