View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 12:53 am   #11
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: The lightbulb conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAM805 View Post
A documentary about planned obsolescence - I never knew that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnS08xsRGY
If you look at post #31 on this thread earlier in the year I mentioned this doco:

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/show....php?p=1109280

It has been around for a while. The thing about it is that its not really about conspiracy, only to the extent that some manufacturers essentially agreed to have the same life cycle for their bulbs. It much more about the way people are cultured to believe old is bad, throw away the old and buy the new.

Also how manufacturers life cycle their products, a good example being a print counter IC in a printer, that disables the printer at the hardware level, after a certain number of prints.

One other thing that is really making me laugh is that some companies selling plastic enclosures for electronic instruments are boasting "Biodegradable plastic" and I bought an enclosure like this. After 2 years the plastic is already brittle and starting to fail. Most plastics have a limited life anyway, so now before the electrolytic caps have failed the instrument you have bought or made, is crumbling away in your hands.

The notion these days of using software inhibition of functions is called "crippleware" You will notice some cars go into limp mode if they are not serviced on time. So either what you are using requires a software reset or you might have to pay extra money in the first instance to get a registration key to enable some software inhibited feature that is already there.

According to the editorial in the recent Silicon Chip Magazine, Vol 32, No5, MAY 2019, this was likely a factor in the Boeing 737 max crashes, where apparently there were two AOA (angle of attack) sensors installed in the plane for the MCAS anti-stall system (but only one was active) so there was no opportunity to compare outputs to check if data from one sensor was faulty and disable the MACS.

So the system that tells the pilots if the AOA sensors are not functioning normally (even though it is fitted at the hardware level) was inactive. The suggestion was the manufacturers charged more $ to enable the second sensor (or disable the crippleware).

It is an example of crippleware applied to a safety feature according to the Editor of S/C. So if this is true, this notion has really been pushed as far as anyone could ever have imagined and the stupidity and greed behind that unfathomable.

Last edited by Argus25; 22nd Apr 2019 at 1:02 am.