Thread: Bletchley Park
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 2:25 pm   #1
See_Mos
Hexode

Default Bletchley Park

A week ago today myself and a friend visited Bletchley Park. The huts and main house were very interesting. There were quite a few items of old equipment and displays and an awful lot of story boards to read so try not to go when it might be busy.

The computer museum is outside the main perimeter, housed in some of the old huts just up the hill from the main car park.

Unfortunately the computer museum was closed but the Colossus display, my main reason for the visit was open. A small donation is requested on entry but before we even got to that I spotted the workshop just to the left of the entry. The door was open so I stuck my head inside on the bench was an AR88 with the covers removed and load of other old equipment lying around.

I forget the name of the older guide. Once he got over his nervousness at having to request a donation he gave a very long and interesting guide to the equipment on show.

After the tour we stayed back a little to take photographs. As we were leaving another guide was starting a tour with a new group of people. The door to the workshop was still open and I could not resist sticking my head inside. I noticed the new guide keeping an eye on me, but in my case he need not have worried. As an engineer my rule is not to touch anything that does not belong to me unless prompted by the owner. To anyone who has worked on old military and valve radios the aroma was heavenly and brought back loads of memories, I could have stood there for ages but we had to go.