View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2020, 10:11 pm   #10
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Idea for a method of Z measurement.

If it helps, I put together a simulation of a classic return loss bridge and stuck a video up on youtube. Sadly there is no sound, I have no microphone here but you can see how the various RF waveforms change within the return loss bridge as the load impedance is changed. The line stretcher allows the bridge to be presented with all impedances that fall on a given VSWR circle and you can see how the amplitude and phase changes for the various RF waveforms within the bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xHp...ature=youtu.be

I presented it with a short circuit to start with, then an open circuit and then a 100 ohm load for a 2:1 VSWR. I then 'stretched' the line to rotate the impedance around the full 2:1 VSWR circle on the smith chart. I also tested at 3:1 VSWR, 10:1 VSWR and 1.1:1 VSWR and rotated around the smith chart in each case.

I set the drive level such that the green sinewave at the detector port had a Vpk of 1.0V with a reflection coefficient of 1. So this Vpk should be the same as the reading for the Reflection Coefficient chart below it.

There are also charts for VSWR and return loss and hopefully it is all OK. I did it in a bit of a hurry so I may have missed something somewhere.