View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2021, 10:58 am   #6
Mister T.
Triode

Default Re: Philips 'Disc Jockey' Auto-change record player 1950's.

Yes, I think I know the turntable you mean. I have a Philips record player I bought new in the 1970s with (I think) that very deck. I still use it (not with my main collection records) quite a lot. It used to worry my friends if playing a 7" record automatically as the pick-up would lift right up, swing in to hit the stack but once it got beyond the 10" position would suddenly drop, as if going to fall onto the turntable mat, but would stop part the way down, the record would then drop, the arm would swing in and land on the record as it should.
I now use it as a single player but still let the arm come over automatically. I found that if you leave the over arm fully up (can either be moved to the right or to the left), press the Auto button and whilst the pick-up arm is moving across, press the stop button. This will mean that when the record has finished playing, the pick-up arm will move back to its rest and the unit will switch off. The same function can be used when playing 10" or 12" records by placing a finger roughly when the edge of the record would be if it was on the stacker spindle, the arm will then come across and hit your finger which will then mean it will drop onto the record at the start. Happy days! Tony