View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2019, 3:33 pm   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default Dynaco ST70 Interconnectivity

Having foolishly sold my Dynaco ST70 previously and with a bit of time on my hands I bought a brand new one; albeit in kit form.
It was an enjoyable task if not relatively straight forward. Testing was also similarly relatively straight forward with only a few odd moments caused by a dodgy GZ-34. Indeed, after sorting out everything I noticed how quiet the item was upon switching on and sorting the bias. In fact there was deadly silence but in a nice way.
We now come to the reason for posting this query. In this I had always intended on using the preamp output of my Musical Fidelity M3Si integrated amp which is where the problem emanates.
With all interconnects in place and all power leads in their sockets in a switched on state and with the Dynaco on and nicely warmed up there is still no distortion whatsoever. However, as soon as you switch on the M3 there is a slight hum albeit not annoying so. In fact the sound it produces was well worth the time and money.

I cannot believe it is an earth loop issue as it applies only when the M3 power is switched on at the unit?
I would appreciate any comments especially since I tried the line in/out functionality from a radio cassette I have that functions as a preamp but there was no hum; just a bit of a hiss.

Regards
Joe