View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2020, 1:31 pm   #1
Telephone Guy
Tetrode

Question Telephone amplifier

Hello everyone,
We have three BT 782 telephones dating from circa early eighties. Since I absolutely can't be doing with modern phones ( which to me is anything manufactured since around the mid- to the end of the eighties ...! ), and absolutely not cordless phones (!), these are the only ones we use.
Here's the problem. Because we're a fair distance from the exchange ( and I don't doubt that that is the reason, having had more checks done and adjustments made than I knew were possible ), the reception on the phones is relatively quiet; usable, just about, but a lot quieter than you'd like. By now, some of you might have figured out where this is going!
Obviously, on modern phones, it's an easy thing to buy a telephone amplifier, plug the receiver cord into one end, plug the other end into the phone, and off you go. That doesn't work, of course, on any phone of this age ( at least, not unless you're going to go to the trouble of disconnecting the receiver cord, attaching the appropriate plug on one end, wiring the necessary terminals to a socket, and inserting the amplifier between the two ...! )
So the question is: does anyone know of any kind of telephone amplifier that does work with phones of this age, i.e., one that goes between the telephone and the wall socket?
In case you wonder, yes, I've checked the internet and so far come up dry, hence this post. I'm fully prepared for the answer to be 'no' ... but it doesn't hurt to ask!
Any suggestions or input will be gratefully received.
Cheers.