View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 10:07 am   #64
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

It is odd how little remnants of memory hang about in the ageing brain. I remember the field output valve being a 30PL13 and wishing that it had instead been one of the numerous Mullard valves I had to hand instead of this exotic device. I never to my knowledge came in unfriendly contact with another 30PL13 though I do recall the 30PL12.

As for the fireball, its great advantage was its size, which meant it could be slotted in by the makers in positions too cramped to take a standard turret. It was a tricky device to work on due to its high component density but fortunately, I had little trouble with them over the years, apart from valve failure.

I knew there was another make of set associated with the Pilot but I could not remember that it was Ultra. I should have known, if only by the Mazda valve line-up. My guess is that Ultra built them and they were badged 'Pilot'.

As you point out, Nick, once these sets were new. It is hard to believe, for me at least, that the last time I worked on the Pilot was well over fifty years ago. It was at that time a quite beautiful looking receiver, very 'modern' with its incredibly high gloss woodgrain cabinet and uncluttered exterior surfaces - but I suspect the cabinet came first in the design procedure and appearance placed ahead of reliability of performance considerations when the chassis was produced to fit that cabinet.

Tony