View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2020, 7:53 pm   #6
lesparapluies
Pentode

Default Re: Ekco U353 Restoration

Update - have done a bit of cleaning up and removing components which obviously need replacing. Now then, capacitors... I'm going to replace all of the electrolytics and the two large waxy ones (the supressor across the switch and the similar one from the chassis to the earth socket, as a matter of course. But regarding the others - several are ceramic discs which I understand are normally OK so I think I'll check they aren't wildly out of value and leave them be. There are some square items which have a hard surface finish and I'm assuming these are ceramics, but there are some which look a little similar but are oblong and waxy - am I right to think these are paper / wax, and probably bad? Also, there is one capacitor which comes off the centre pin of the volume pot, and which seems to be a screened capacitor, i.e. it has the normal 2 leads plus a 3rd which is connected to chassis. In my 50 years or so of tinkering with electronics I've never seen one before, nor can I find any reference to them on the internet...any comments? Many thanks, MD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2694 2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	201559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	201560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg
Views:	206