View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2020, 6:22 pm   #1
lesparapluies
Pentode

Default Ekco U353 Restoration

Having wrestled the Westminster radiogram into submission I thought I'd tackle a table radio next, to help fill the long dark summer evenings ahead(!) - picked up an Ekco U353, cabinet in lovely condition. I resisted the temptation to plug it in, even through a dim bulb, and, after inspecting its interior, this was probably a good thing. There are several issues, but I think the first ones concern the power supply. The supressor capacitor across the mains switch (C60) has literally fallen in half (see photo) - I will replace this with a type X capacitor unless anyone advises otherwise. The main smoothing / filter caps (C57, C58, C52) are all in the same can, and the terminals have corroded so badly that they too have fallen apart. I think I'm just going to remove the can altogether and replace these with new ones mounted on a tag strip, rather than trying to preserve the appearance. C57 and C58 are obsolete values (40uF) and I think it will be OK to put in 47uF ones rather than going down to 32uF - I've seen lots of similar circuits with UY85 rectifier which use 47uF so presume it will tolerate them. But one thing which concerns me is that there is a capacitor soldered across the existing C52 - not in the circuit diagram and almost certainly added later, as it's an RS component, which none of the others are. C52 is 32uF and the "new" one across it is 16uF - any ideas as to why that would have been fitted? Thank you in advance for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 17.01.34.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	201274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	201275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2698.jpg
Views:	206