View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2019, 11:42 am   #85
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkins View Post

I looked for a long time for someone selling vintage NOS striped wire, and after a couple of months I finally found someone who had come across about 10 or so unused reels of different coloured striped wire. This wire was made in the early 1950s to a vintage colour coding.
That was well done.

The only vintage TV I have restored and re-wired with fabric replacement wire is the Andrea KTE-5. The wire was available new (reproduction) from Antique Electronics in the USA.

I found when I stripped the ends, using a scalpel, the fabric weave would start to un-twine. So, for about 5 mm , I painted it with clear varnish that stuck the fabric threads together. (Photo attached of under chassis of KTE-5 Television set, 1939)

After that experience, for all my restorations, both radio & TV, I went to silicone rubber covered wire. The reason is it looks exactly like vintage rubber hookup wire, but is totally heat resistant and it does not burn or retract regardless of the soldering temperature (unlike PVC). It comes from RS components.

PS: Your restoration/s set a very high standard for the forum, it is eye candy to see the the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cotton.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	179741