View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2018, 9:39 am   #14
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Special Auction 11th Feb '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad View Post
To all reading this post:
It should be borne in mind that the BVWS is not a commercial organisation and all money raised goes into the membership pot.
Also unlike other organisations that charge a fee for an Auction catalogue the BVWS is FREE and the catalogue is made public as are the auction results and I can see that there would be a clear reason to expect that a paid service should be delivered in a certain timescale but this is volunteer work.
I would also highlight another difference between BVWS auctions and most auction houses I know, which is that there is no "buyer's premium" on top of the hammer price - what you bid is what you pay - and the seller's premium is the lowest I've ever encountered! No doubt this is only achieveable owing to the enormous amount of work put in by those such as Mike - with no financial reward.

Yes, it's difficult to justify setting aside a weekend (which I need to owing to the distance I have to travel) on the offchance that there will be something to bid upon when I get there, but sometimes I look upon it as also an opportunity to meet up with other enthusiasts and may or may not end up with acquisitions at the end of it - after all, even if there is something I really want in the auction, there's no guarantee I'll be the successful bidder.

As Mike says, there is always the option of absentee bidding if one can't get to the sale.