View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 7:09 pm   #49
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO VCM 163 Meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by waran2005 View Post
Where do you stop when replacing components, I understand to make it 100% reliable / as good as new then it's probably the best option. I just don't have the time or resources to complete a task like that, so what's considered absolutely essential?

Even replacing the electrolytics made me paranoid, not that I'm not confident in my abilities, it's just that they were working well before removal, and the boards are old and I know they don't generally respond well to a soldering iron. I was worried about causing damage to them, maybe introducing problems they didn't originally have etc.
What you are talking about is why I decided to build an entirely new oscillator. As you say, even the original PCB's are iffy and the copper tracks start lifting.

Stick with it; I'm certainly very impressed by the approach you have taken with the meters (so much so that you know what I did), the pics of the finished items and the op-amp boards all of which look very competently done indeed. The 163 is worth it! You've made a load of progress; you make me feel really bad - but that's my problem .

PM'd also

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 3rd Mar 2023 at 7:29 pm.