View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2023, 12:27 pm   #12
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Unknown radio or should that be wireless.

Thanks David, I've just had a look at their ebay phenolic paper based sheet. The original sheet size in this radio is 620mm x 208mm x 4mm. I think 4mm is perhaps a little too thin for the weight that it has to support, so thought 5mm as a replacement, however the next thickness up seems to be 6mm. I will probably need to replace some of the fixing screws to accomodate the 6mm thickness. I'll sent them a message via ebay to see what they can do and take it from there.

The adhesive idea looks like a real pita to resolve, as non of the modern types that I've checked even mention ebonite as a material. Several specify that they can't be used on a sustrate that is leaching and I suspect that the sulpher content could be considered to leach out. It will need some specific questions to the various adhesive manufacturers to see what they think and if they can make any suggestions.

The panel will need a complete strip down to repair and also part of it is warped. I don't want to invest any expense for adhesives that will not work as well as all the time to strip, repair and rebuild if the panel is going to break again. Probably better to start with a thicker replacement panel.

Dave