View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2019, 3:15 pm   #10
Riccardo Grillo
Triode

Default Re: Two DSL filters, two 706 phones, bell tinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneL74 View Post
There is another method you could try which won't involve changing any of your internal wiring.

I have a Planset N625 wired with 2 "external" extensions. These extensions are 2-wire 706 phones effectively wired in parallel.

What the GPO did to eliminate bell tinkle on those was fit a thermistor in series with each bell coil. This causes a slight delay with the phones start to ring (about 1 second) but does stop bell tinkle.

The device you are looking for is a Thermistor 1A-1. These are available from eBay and other GPO spares suppliers.

You would wire it in place of the strap across T4 & T5 is each 706 telephone. You may already have a resistor in place of this strap. If so then post a picture of the wiring of your phones and I can advise how it can be done.
Hi Wayne,

I love your way of thinking and that was the sort of suggestion I was hoping for on this forum. Thank you!

But I've already solved the problem, I think.

I've taken A and B via the orange twisted pair to my lounge socket from the master, using 2 and 5 and not connecting to 3. I discovered that the connexions on the splitter actually let the broadband run straight through. While this doesn't necessarily mean that broadband does not need a filter, it does mean that it can presumably go on the unfiltered side of it, and it seems to be working if this message gets through to people.

Behind the bedroom extension socket, I spliced the orange wires. On the extension faceplate, I've wired the blue and green wires to serve as the line and ringing pairs.

As a cheapskate alternative to buying a filtered socket or faceplate for my 5C master socket (I hate this master socket anyway), I've hardwired my filter into the 2 and 5 at the master socket and soldered my internal phone extension pairs (blue and green pairs) onto the filtered outputs of the splitter (2=blue, 3=green stripe, 4=green, 5=blue stripe). The green and blue stripe wires are soldered together as they leave the splitter so they are both 5 really. I'll stick it in an enclosure under the master socket.

So any 3 wire phone can be fitted in the bedroom and its bell will take the negative from 3 and its positive from 5.

But on a 706, I have tried to do better than that: strap T16-T17 (it isn't doing anything anyway) was removed. The strap was then parked on some spare terminals (I used T11-T12). Then I moved the green wire on the line cord from T15 to T16 so that the orange wire from the bell coil is now connected to it instead of to the white wire. This way, when the bell rings, the ringing current will be in a twisted pair and hopefully the broadband will not suffer interference.

Now all I need to do is use some of the remaining slack in the cable in the lounge to fit a new extension socket for the phone in the lounge onto the green and blue pairs.

You may be wondering how I connected my modem, which has an RJ11 plug. Well, actually, I used a spare filter. Since we've established that the filter allows the broadband to pass straight through, it's pretty much just being used as a plug adapter. It would be better to buy a different lead for my router, but if it works it'll do... so long as nobody plugs a phone into it.

As Julie has pointed out, the filter doesn't have a full-size capacitor, but it will ring two phones, which will do for now. Another disadvantage is that the socket on the master faceplate remains unfiltered and thus unusable.