View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 2:20 pm   #1
Riccardo Grillo
Triode

Hi. First post here, and have already searched the forums and not fully understand the information, so please be gentle with me.

I currently have my master socket in the porch. When it was installed, the Openreach installer gave me a choice of an unfiltered socket and a filtered one. I chose the unfiltered one as I did not want my broadband hub/router in the porch. From this master, I have run extensions to the bedroom and then to the lounge. I suppose the basic problem is that I do not want my broadband router to be where the master socket is, and I do not want to run a new cable from the lounge to the master socket, so I'm looking for a workaround.

I have a GPO 706 Mk I and this was plugged into the lounge extension via a DSL splitter alongside the router and all was well until I decided to buy a new phone and put it in the bedroom.

The 'new' phone is a 706 MkIIA and is converted with diodes and 3.3k resistors from the same batch as used for my other phone and is plugged into another extension via another DSL filter.

Now when I dial from the one phone, the other phone rings quietly. For some reason the Mk IIA is more affected by the Mk1 than the reverse.

When I briefly Jerry-rigged the two phones onto the same plug, such that they shared the same DSL filter, all was well. Equally, if I remove the DSL filters and the router and just plug into the extensions (as was normal until broadband came about) all is well.

What I do not really understand is how we get around this. Since my extensions are wired in CAT 5e, could I use one twisted pair to supply the router and another two pairs to supply the phones? Essentially the CAT 5e could contain both the filtered and unfiltered cables and then each slave socket could be connected to the chosen cable cores (would require some crimps or similar behind the faceplates). Or would this not work for some reason - is a bell wire (3) a problem with broadband?

Or could I modify my filters? Add a terminal 3 in some way and remove the filter ringing capacitor, thus using the master socket as the ringing capacitor for the phones? Possibly this would mean the internet would fail when the phone rang, but then when the phone rings you usually need to answer it and the internet would have reloaded by the time I'd finished talking?

Oldcodger came up with a method that seems sound, but I failed to understand it and could not raise the issue as the thread he commented on was closed to new comments.

I can live with the bell tinkle, but worry the noise might irritate my neighbours.

Thank you for being patient with my lack of understanding.

Riccardo

I _think_ this is what Oldcodger was suggesting. Perhaps if he's still active he would clarify? Is the suggestion to remove (shock and horror!) the Openreach master socket? It might work, but I don't want to tamper with the Openreach line (though when I was young and irresponsible I probably would have done). Or have I understood incorrectly?

https://beta.photobucket.com/u/ricca...c-18541321dd35

And this is what I was suggesting, making use of the existing CAT 5e cable that has already been installed and leaving the Openreach master socket exactly where it is.

For clarification, slave faceplates 1, 3, and 4 (etc...) are connected to the phone side of the filter whereas faceplate 2 is connected to the DSL side of the filter. Behind faceplate 1, the twisted pair that supplies the DSL is crimped or spliced in some way without being connected to the faceplate; behind faceplate 2 the twisted pair and bell wires are crimped or spliced without being connected to the faceplate. Faceplate 2 is, essentially, a dedicated outlet for the router, while any other extension socket can be used with a telephone in the usual manner.

https://beta.photobucket.com/u/ricca...1-2ece9dafa08e