View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2019, 3:53 pm   #3
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Refixing meter glass.

Araldite. There's two grades of curing, the red packaged one takes minutes, the blue takes hours. I usually use the red unless it's a fiddly job.

Even if you apply a little too much and it smurges onto the front of the glass, it doesn't set rock hard so can be scraped off when semi-cured quite easily. I have only ever had one glass crack, and i think that was because i applied Araldite around the EDGE of the glass as well as the front face. This appeared to set up stress when it cured.

I would say that if you ever have to remove an araldited glass though, it does put up a fight. For this reason i tend to use quite small amounts, blobbed on at strategic points.

On the rare occasions i use superglue, it is when the glass feels secure, but viewed from inside the meter the contact area of the old glue doesn't seem large enough. In this case the wick effect of cyanoacrylic is an advantage. The one proviso is waiting until the glue is utterly dry before reassembling the meter, as it can creep across dirt or fingerprints on the surface of the glass and fog it. (Cure- acetone based nail varnish remover)

I recall that Micheal recommends making up a black putty so that glass can be removed easily in future if required. I have never tried this approach.

Dave