View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2015, 1:35 pm   #78
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Test equipment for valve radio repair

The basic test gear needed depends on aspirations. My own interest is collecting interesting radios from boot sales and auctions. I then aim to make them work acceptably. With such simple aims I find I need very few items of test equipment. A multimeter is the prime one and I have both digital and analogue. I use either with really no preference. The digital meter is auto ranging and so needs less thought. A signal generator is the next in importance though I find a second portable set to check that the LO is working very handy. It also gives me a signal for injecting into the AF stages.

The slightly controversial item is a scope. It is an old not very sophisticated model but I find I rarely use it. Mainly to check what is happening in IF stages. It is also useful when the sound is very distorted to see where the problem starts.

This I find avery basic kit but even then if the scope stopped working I could probably manage quite well. No doubt my very simple needs help. Obviously a boot sale radio costing very little, with intractable faults, can always donate parts if my test gear is not up to finding the problem