View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2019, 3:43 pm   #99
samjmann
Heptode

Default Re: The demise of the fluorescent tube

I replaced the 4ft fluorescent lamp in our kitchen (12 years old) simply because it seemed impossible to get a replacement tube locally. So after a trip to one of the big 'sheds' I came back with a 4ft LED replacement. It is so bright that there must be something like 3x the light of the old tube. To be honest it's nearly too bright as a one-for one replacement. My wife now complains of headaches brought on by the interaction of flicker between the new kitchen LED light, and an older LED fitting at the other end of the room.
This does not seem to flicker on it's own, but run both lights and the effect is quite unpleasant. I used an iPhone 7+ camera in slo-mo mode and this really shows up the switching. The older LED lamps really flicker this way, but the new striplight LED appears almost 'constant'. The colour of the new light is very 'cold' much more towards blue. The manufacturer also state that
'should this fitting fail there are no replaceable parts inside' cough up another £30.00 I suppose. I wonder if it will last 12 years? SJM

Last edited by samjmann; 20th Jan 2019 at 3:44 pm. Reason: Wording error