View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2019, 10:33 pm   #74
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: The demise of the fluorescent tube

Kalee20. "Surely 6000K is warmer than 4000K?". I've never thought of it that way but I sort of see where you are coming from! The warmer a black body gets, the higher frequency the radiation will be, so nearer to the 'blue' end of the spectrum.
In human terms though, we perceive warm to be at the red end of the spectrum which is where the heat from the fire is!

The Philpott. 8' tubes were discontinued many years ago but seem to still be readily available but at insane prices!
I still have a stock of them and in fact changed two last weekend in a factory. Considering how thin the glass is, they are amazingly strong- I too have whacked them while carrying them and not broken any!
I have another few to replace for another customer next week. I believe there used to be a 10 foot tube, but I've never seen one!

Sinewave. " I'm wondering if that's just at the store you went to ". This is a large electrical wholesaler to the trade where I've had an account for some years. A big chunk of the local trade will shop there, so if they are no longer stocking fluorescent, it's a fair bet that other retailers will follow suit in the near future.

Well, I've taken the plunge! I have a 5 foot LED fitting to install in the guy's tea room at the weekend. It's a 40 foot 'Portakabin' and has two other 5' fluorescents in there already. I'll be interested in how the new fitting compares!
Watch this space!

All the best
Nick