View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2019, 2:31 pm   #61
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: The demise of the fluorescent tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
The question of colour temperature is also interesting. For me, 4000K is as cool as I feel comfortable with. I find being in a room lit with 6000k light really horrible. I've read that sufferers of SAD need 6000K+ light, but to me it's just chill and depressing.
Surely 6000K is warmer than 4000K? The hotter a black body, the bluer the light? I've always been puzzled by the reference to yellower light as 'warmer' than bluer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
I agree that the whole CFL thing was utterly horrible. We were forced into them on the basis of energy efficiency, but I'm sure if you take the manufacturing costs, toxic materials, almost universal disposal into landfill and often very short lifespan into account, then we would have been much better sticking to incandescent until LED's came along!
I agree! I really don't like CFL's. However, it's just a case of hindsight, and backing the wrong technology. LED's were a lab curiosity for a while, then came available as indicators. It's comparactively recently that light output has been sufficient for lighting. At the time of 'going CFL' there was the hope that a succession of improvements would take place, instead, it looks as though what we ended up with 10 years ago is as good as it gets, whereas the LED people have found ways to just get better.

Fluorescents and LEDs for lighting do have one thing in common - they both rely on fluorescence (in the fluorescent lamp it's excited by UV from mercury vapour, in the white LED it's by blue light emitted from a diode structure. So I daresay that all the work that the chemists did to make better phosphors has been used by the LED people. The effort hasn't been wasted!