View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2019, 7:04 pm   #42
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: The demise of the fluorescent tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
I bought some lower temperature LEDs in a bathroom fitting, there was no choice. They replicate a tungsten bulb perfectly but after using 6000k fittings, they are awful in their appearance. I have since gone around fitting 6000k everywhere and I can see again!
Yes! A hundred times yes! I'm totally happy to see the back of incandescent/fluorescent/CFL "warm white" light-sources that deliver that horrid gloomy yellow light that makes everywhere look like a movie-set replicating Victorian candlelight and everyone appear to be suffering terminal jaundice.

"Halogen" filament-bulbs were a bit better - with their clear glass they let more light out but they still went sepulchrally-yellow when dimmed. 6500K dimmable LEDs are to me a revelation - I've fitted them everywhere - I can justify the cost of this on the annual energy-saving over the halogens they replace. Now I have better-than-daylight brightness at the flick of a switch - just the way it should be.

I actially have a private theory that the growth in cases of depression over the last couple of decades is partially correlated with the lowering of colour-temperature of indoor illumination.

Fluorescents, Sodium-lights, Incandescents - begone! ! You're as obsolete as rushlights and tallow candles.