View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2018, 1:46 am   #36
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: HMV in administration.

Oh well..................

At least I still have my local LP retailer in Carlisle, and I think there's still one in Kendal, not bad for a county with a population about the same as a large town anywhere else!
I was in Carlisle HMV a couple of times in the run up to Xmas and it was packed with people, but I can't say how many actually bought anything.
I found a few CDs that I was looking out for but mostly it was I suppose fairly mainstream popular stuff. But heck most of it was dead cheap, £3.99 for a Jake Thackray CD, blimey I have seen CD's in charity shops for that kind of dosh.
(jake Thackray, all good yorkshiremen should enjoy his stuff and for the southerners \i can offer a translation service!)

There's still a market out there, not all youngsters are into downlaods. Theres a backlash now starting in favour of owning physical media. RW hits the button, at least CD's are mostly reliable and can't be lost in "the cloud".

I won't get involved in any arguments about LP, I know where I stand on it, am happy to buy new pressings at the price they are, and these days avoid used LPs for the most part as I got weary of knackered old records that had been "previously abused". A new modern CD player/DAC revitalised my system and I think CD is about as good as it needs to be in a domestic environment, all things being equal.
The DAC bit of the CD player means that if I get forced into having to play internet downloads at least I dont need to buy a new bit of kit to decipher the raw bits so to speak, my tablet device will serve as a feed from a storage card.
I hope some sort of phoenix rises from the ashes, theres still money to be made selling media. I suspect part of the problem is also that the big retail organisations have to make a huge percentage profit to please their investors rather than just give a decent living to a proprietor and staff. This is not unique to HMV's business, unfortunately all business is subject to thiis pressure and inevitably choice and quality will suffer.
Sad innit?

A.