View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2018, 1:42 pm   #25
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Writing Uno Lettering?

Hi!

My apologies for bringing this one up again everyone!

I'm afraid, even using NOS "Uno" pen nibs and the maker's pen handle, I can't get neat and tidy stencilled letters like those in Radio Constructor et. ai. – they all come out furry with huge bulbous ends or ink just blobs everywhere!

(Incidentally, you sometimes see this in 1950s/1960s Newnes books or diagrams in "RTVS" diagrams where Newnes redrew a very poor maker's diagram if you look very closely)

I have a few almost empty bottles of the original Uno Ink but it's hopeless, even following the directions in the original booklets – there are lettering samples in the booklets but only a few letters & figures are given, so scanning the samples given is no good unless you'll only want ABCDE and 01234!

However, I did see a packet of "Uniball" Technical Lettering Pens in the window of my local Rymans last weekend – has anyone tried using these pens with 1950s/1960s era stencils?

If the modern pens aren't suitable, can anyone recommend a modern brand of ink?

Chris Williams

I promise there'll be TTF files uploaded for everyone to use when I finally succeed at this lettering project!