View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2018, 12:25 pm   #26
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Bach with sparks!

Hi Albert,

A nice, warm glow from those big old valves there. And I like the brush discharge from the break-out point. I can almost hear the sound of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewmaster View Post
BTW, OI am taking 8 amps from the mains when at full tilt. (2 MOT's in parallel)
That's quite a lot of juice! I'll come back to that in a moment..

Quote:
The little drops on the wire are multiple coats of varnish which has cured the break out.
Great! I'm glad that fixed it!

Quote:
Sparks are 6 inches at about 2kv. DC. I've added some doorknobs cannibalised from my SGTC to increase tank cap from 600 pf to 1100pf to increase spark length so it's tuning that I must now concentrate on.
That's a pleasing look, but there's something not quite right, that you could address if you feel like it. A lot of that 2kW power in is going into heating the anodes, and not into that break-out.

I know that you're not making it for the length of the plasma, but if you think about it, if you're building it for the most impactful audio, you need something that's going to whack the around the plasma, so the more imposing the plasma is, the louder the sound will be.

What is the arrangement for your grid leak circuit? What R and what C are you using and what are the physical components? As you know, there's a time constant, formed by the RC combination.

So you need to know the resonant frequency of your secondary coil and it appears from the experience of many that it's best if the time constant for this circuit is about four or five times the period of one RF cycle.

Also, what is the RF bypass capacitor made from? there needs to be a really low impedance pathway for RF.

Quote:
Will keep you informed when Bach's Toccata starts sparking.
That will be fantastic! Yes, please keep us informed!