View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 7:54 am   #3
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Re: Wartime Civilian Receiver.......

Hi Glowing Bits!
Luckily I have an ECH35 & EF39 from a salvage job. When the time comes I'll try it with it's original line up of valves then take it from there. Having just finished scraping the old varnish off (messy!) & re-assembling/gluing the cabinet back together (top had become detached, several corner bracing pieces fallen off & the rest decidedly rickety) I'm going to let it stand for a few days until I tackle the chassis. The OPT looks as if it's a generic replacement, the markings look aftermarket. Speaker is in good order though, voice coil not scraping & the cone is intact. Managed to get the cloth off in one piece & gave it a gentle wash, the colour of the water was a sight to behold! Its been left to air dry on a piece of towel in the window of the workshop. We'll see how it's held up at the weekend, I'm hopeful it will survive. As I was scraping the cabinet I heard a muted twang from the chassis on the bench, I looked at it & found the tuning cord had snapped! Luckily it's a relatively simple run. Oh & the 8uf capacitors reformed excellently too. Rather pleased so far......