Thread: Aspect ratio
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 8:18 pm   #20
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Aspect ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
INH, Exactly what sort of Xbox do you have there? Not the original Xbox as that never had HDMI output, I assume you are talking about some variant of the Xbox 360?

The proprietary video port next to the HDMI output on a 360 can output a range of signals for which you merely have to have the right connecting lead.

They were supplied as standard with an analogue 'Component' (YPbPr) video output lead but you can also obtain a 'VGA' lead to connect the 360 to the VGA input on a monitor (or TV which has such a 'PC' input) - that's by far the best connection method to get a crisp, high resolution picture if you happen not to have a display with an HDMI input.

You can also get an 'AV' output lead for the Xbox 360 which is your standard definition composite video + stereo audio lead, and that comes with a SCART plug shaped block which has AV sockets on the back and a SCART male on the other face to plug into a TV. This last connection method is the best connection method for your old TV but will waste the image quality available from the Xbox - a lot of in game text will be unreadable on an SD display.
Hi, I do have an Xbox 360, which I haven't used as of yet due to not being able to get online at the moment, so I've borrowed an Xbox one. I can connect using a composite output, but the VCR I have doesn't have composite in, only SCART and Aerial in and RF out.

I understand that games wont be as high quality, but that doesn't bother me as I don't play them a lot so it's not a issue really. So if I were to use the AV output, would I get a clearer display or the same?

Thanks