View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2011, 12:47 am   #14
yestertech
Nonode

Default Re: Horrid intermittent on Transistor Black Box 1004

Thanks all for further thoughts, much appreciated.
Annoyingly, after at first sight looking like the AC128 subbed for VT2 was working properly I changed the remaining NKT224 's for AC128s. Slightly more gain but still very distorted HO HUM
As to other suggestions, I checked the new reservoir on the ESR meter prior to install and that was good.
Rich, I did worry about both output devices not being matched. A day or so back I tacked in another AD149 in lieu of VT6 but it made no difference. I will probably install this one permanently anyway for good measure.
Also, ref the speakers, I am using a test unit ( 6x 4 ish elliptical ) on the bench rather than the BB internal speakers. This was working OK to begin with, so I guess I should check its not gone short, although I doubt this would affect the DC conditions so badly the other side of the OP cap.
Paula, I will try this trick to shift the DC conditions.
What's really bugging me is where the base potential is going to on VT2. It still seems really low. The pot ( R13 ) at full CCW measures slightly low at around 16K, but is difficult to remove. In any case, it should still be possible to set it for the correct bias point.
I replaced the 100k resistor on the top end of the base divider just as a precaution.
and I still don't understand what's pulling that 220ma quiescent current, if as it looks, VT2 is NOT conducting.
In the time I've spent on this damn unit, I could have re-built it as a valve version and still had time to enjoy a mince pie or 6

Andy