View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2017, 3:17 pm   #68
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Cheap multimeters

That's not a bad price. I think I paid £35.99 for mine from ebay before the prices went up a couple of years back.

When you get it can please you post a photo of the insides so I can compare to mine. Interested to see if they are similar.

The logging is an RS232 cable with an optoisolator at the meter end. It does NOT work with cheap USB serial adapters. Any desktop PC seems to work fine though. I'm using Sigrok with mine: https://sigrok.org/wiki/UNI-T_UT61E ... the provided software is terrible!

I actually made a test rig for a huge box of germanium transistors I had a while ago that I had to test just for the hell of it. It was an Arduino with a relay attached to it connected to the USB port. The meter was connected to the serial port. All controlled by a python script. You poked a transistor in the test rig socket (a cheap textool clone), pressed enter and it read the leakage current and converted it, then read the hFe and converted it from the meter switching between two functions with the relay in the middle controlled by the arduino. This left the device in circuit until the values changing had slowed.

Would have taken me 7-8 days non stop recording otherwise - took 5 hours to get through that box.

I was going to wire it up to a label printer as well but I ran out of serial ports by then