View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2017, 9:48 am   #1
Voxophone
Hexode

Default HDMI to AV converter with Aurora - aspect ratio problem

Lately I’ve been experimenting with an HDMI to AV converter for viewing video from a laptop on my TV22 via an Aurora converter. The conversion itself works well and the picture quality seems good, however I’m having problems getting the correct aspect ratio.

Widescreen video which fills the laptop screen appears to come through ok with corner-to-corner coverage of the TV screen. However, most of the old TV shows I’m trying to watch are in 4:3 rather than widescreen, hence they appear on YouTube etc. with two black bars at the sides of the frame to make up the rest of the image as viewed on the laptop. When viewed on the TV22, the black bars prevent the picture filling the screen and cause it to be overly narrow.

I know plenty of other people have used similar HDMI-AV converters in this application, and was wondering how they overcame this problem. I’ve tried altering various display settings on the laptop without success. It seems what would really be required is a way to ‘stretch’ the 4:3 image corner-to-corner on the laptop. Other than that, I suppose I could just adjust the width control on the TV - although this would be a bit of a hassle if I wanted it back to normal on a regular basis.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Liam