View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2020, 6:20 pm   #17
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: CB Rig collectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscope View Post
Not with the Telescopic antenna I should add.
Imagine that sticking out the Sunroof !
You won't believe this, but that's exactly what I did with mine when I first used it in the car

A few years ago when I decided to drag the old radio gear back out and try it out, I only had a 'homebrew' wire antenna in a tree. It wasn't long before I was offered a 'proper' antenna free if I wanted to go and collect it. Phone numbers and addresses weren't exchanged in public over the air, so having got a rough location, I put the Midland Portapack (or as you probably correctly call it "Port-a-Pak") in the car, and when I got to the chaps rough location, I opened the sun roof and stuck the antenna out through the top, then, with the roof almost closed to just keep it in place, he was then able to direct me to his exact location by radio contact. If I take it in the car now, I use an old mag mount, which, as it happens, was given to me by the same chap at the time when I picked up that antenna.

The antenna was up for a year or two, then I took it down for several years, but put it back up again when all the extra 'lockdown' activity struck up - and I've been given yet more radio related junk

Here's the antenna - which most will recognise as the good old 'Silver Rod'...well at least the birds seem to like it and they do work exceptionally well - the antennas I mean, not the birds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130872.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	215027   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130873.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	215028