View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2007, 11:18 pm   #22
Zelandeth
Heptode

Default Re: Rigonda Stereo - Reviving the beast

Thanks for the tip, Graham. Never thought of that one, but it seems like the easiest option here I think. Have discovered that a laser pointer can be an aid here in seeing which terminal is actually which when jumping from one side of the board to the other.

Have been out at my parents house today, so don't have access to much of my equipment. I did bring the chassis with me though, and have subjected it to a thourgh clean (vacuum cleaner, paintbrush followed by liberal application of contact cleaner to the switching system - being careful to keep it off the back of the tuning scale). Pleased to report that it looks a good deal healthier, and that the switches all work now. Though SW1 still sticks a little bit. Can work on that more later. I'm just glad that the cleaning didn't unearth any more obviously cooked components.

Unfortunately re-stringing the pointer for AM has been less successful. I've figured out how it came off now, when I was putting the chassis back into the case last night it must have caught on the upper edge of the case apeture (there's very little clearance) and just jumped out of the very shallow grove in one of the pulleys. I am now discovering that this is an absolute pig of a thing to re-string! The dial cord in this case is actually steel wire, and as such is very prone to "sproinging" into any shape and in any direction OTHER than where you want it to go. It's like trying to re-string a radio using a slinky! If anyone's done this before, I'd be most grateful, because so far it's driving me insane!

I did manage to pick up the resistors I needed today, so will get them changed tomorrow. Any repairs to the amplifiers such as this I'm doing in pairs, as I figure that it's best to keep things balanced.

Hopefully things will progress more tomorrow.