View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 10:21 pm   #6
Riccardo Grillo
Triode

Hi Winston,

I take it you mean Andi is effectively leaving it with 2 2-wire phones? I would agree.

Agree with you that the Openreach master socket could very well stay, but not sure what the need is for a second master socket in my diagram based on Oldcodger's post. I'm fairly sure I've not drawn what he described here

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...08&postcount=8

accurately. Since a splitter contains a ring capacitor, then it's doing the same thing and it is illogical to wire as per my diagram, and I get the impression Oldcodger would not have made this mistake. If Oldcodger is reading this, can you please put me straight?

My main question is whether I can possibly run both the filtered and unfiltered sides of the split phone line down different cores of the same Cat 5e cable and have it work?

Hi Dave,

The fact that when both phones are connected to the 3-wire extension system without the filters, or are wired to the 3-wire output of the same filter, there is no tinkle shows that what you say is right and that the phones are not inherently faulty.

I think I'm starting to understand how it all works and it is reassuring that your explanation agrees with the limited understanding I am starting to gain.

I suppose the making and breaking of the contacts as a result of pulse dialling has the same effect on the capacitor in the next filter down the line as the pulses of a ringing voltage and, hence, the filter's capacitor creates a weak 3rd-wire current which causes tinkle.

We are on the same page: one single filter for all the phones is what is needed!

So, just to be sure, are you suggesting:

1. I leave my extension socket in the lounge wired to the master socket on one twisted pair (no bell wire is required: it may as well not have one).

2. Into this I plug my splitter.

3. I plug the router into the RJ11 output socket on the splitter.

3. I put a second secondary socket on the wall near the one that has the splitter plugged into it and wire this socket 3-wire style to any other secondary sockets using some of the remaining 6 cores in the existing cable.

4. I get a double male extension cable and plug one end into the secondary socket I fitted in point 3 and I plug the other end into the BT431 output socket on the splitter.

If that is what you are suggesting, it seems like a winner to me. Is that, in essence, what you meant?