View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2021, 8:24 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: 32 year old Sharp microwave oven...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Do people still repair microwave ovens these days?
I doubt it. Even if you could find someone it would probably be uneconomical due to cost of spares and labour....assuming suitable spares being available. The cost of microwaves has come down so much, it probably just isn't worth it. I don't even think you can get spares for them now like you used to unless you are an authorised dealer. I haven't seen anyone selling microwave spares for years. Last one I did was my old Goldstar about 15 years ago and I only got the spares because I knew the dealer!

I have a SilverCrest microwave with a grill from Lidl which is about five years old, faultless so far and does everything we need, gets a lot of use and cost £50 which was less than the one we had before which cost £70 and had fewer functions.....

I would bet the HV diode or the magnetron. If you can get into the magnetron cavity, make sure the HV capacitor is discharged before doing anything. You can remove the magnetron without too much difficulty and then you can check the waveguide. Sometimes they get contaminated and cause arcing so you might be lucky.

If you don't feel confident, don't even try to fix it yourself....these things can kill! I have seen someone thrown across a workshop after inadvertently touching the capacitor terminals with the unit not even switched on....he didn't discharge the capacitor. Fortunately he did survive but had a bad burn and a broken wrist where he hit the wall....