View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2018, 8:15 pm   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default "Demon" transistor radio

This radio was bought untested from the Internet. It was a little grubby but complete with it's leather shoulder strap. I was pleased to find it working, in a fashion, once a 9v battery had been connected. Stations could be tuned in at low volume on LW, but MW reception was non existent. Closer inspection revealed that the ferrite rod aerial was cracked in the middle and the MW winding was open circuit where the rod had contacted a metal support on the chassis. After removing the ferrite rod assembly, I was able to glue it together again and repair the damaged winding without losing any turns.

After reassembly, both wavebands worked but volume was still low. There was a dramatic increase in sound level when I touched one end of the ferrite rod and careful adjustment of the two aerial trimmers restored normal operation on both wavebands. I don't know if the radio was damaged in the post or was like that already. As others have reported on this forum, the sound from this model, although loud and clear, is a little thin and lacking in bass. I may investigate this later and see if an improvement can be made.

The picture shows the radio after it had a light clean up and a little dark furniture polish applied to restore some of the faded colour (tan though it looks dark red in the photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Demon #1.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	173171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Demon #2.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	173172