View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2018, 11:12 pm   #29
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Is it worth repairing?

Whilst my interest lies mainly in the vintage audio world, I do love old radios.
They are, in an odd way, like living things to me.
And I would say anything is worth restoring, I detest the throwaway society we live in, paying lip service to pollution and waste yet profligately dumping "obsolete" items that are not even worn out.
I agree with the observations on relative costs of spares, my personal analogy is the "Pint of beer" inflation measure. And it may surprise many to realise that many spares like valves are actually cheaper in real terms than in 1960!
There are some Valves that perhaps have gone into the stratosphere but I think its hyped up as PX4 etc were already rare I think and that and that alone bumps prices up.
Personally if i want a low powered triode with the characteristics of a PX4 i'll triode wire a KT66.

This, like any other interest in historic items, has its saints and villains but my overwhelming experience on this forum and in the BVWS has been of people who just love the hobby of restoring or merely being interested in old radio and audio equipment.
Far more than just a bunch of "collectors" I feel.

Andy.