View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2012, 9:08 am   #88
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Crystal Palace DSO is looming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
The "new" multiplex with BBC2 will be at a higher power than before. It will also have changed from 16QAM 2k modulation to 64QAM 8k modulation. This change can cause some freeview boxes not to see the new multiplexes.

edit: Richard the lack of BBC1 & BBC2 may be due the it not seeing the new multiplex as it's changed to 8k. If this is the case it will become a brick in two weeks time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsergeant View Post
Yes, that OnDigital box will be useless now with the 8k modulation. You get BBC4 because that is duplicated on one of the existing 2k multiplexes. In a fortnight you will have nothing.

I must admit to being somewhat out-of-touch with digital transmissions having been away from the trade for nearly four years. I was aware that there was 16QAM and 64QAM transmissions and the old OnDigital box could cope with those. I know ITV used one version and BBC the other and when selecting from ITV to BBC, there were a few seconds delay while the box sorted itself out. This didn't happen when going (say) from BBC1 to BBC2 which was almost instant. Do you know if anything else has changed (apart from the increase in power)?

At the moment, I'm not convinced that the 2k/8k difference is the problem. Of course I'll know for sure in two weeks!

Rich.

Last edited by Sideband; 5th Apr 2012 at 9:16 am.