View Single Post
Old 18th May 2006, 10:29 am   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco A22 - Hum at various points on dial. Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4EBT
As to the PC, mine's situated in the house about 15 yards from the workshop, so it never occured to me that it could cause hash. However, it does indeed, so it must be coming down the mains rather than radiating RF. Much better when switched off.

As to the flourescent light, yes, I have two twin tubes, but it only makes a slight difference whether they're on or off. I also have a circular flourescent magnifying lamp which plays havoc!
This has been discussed on these forums before. It can apply to anything with a switched mode power supply. I once had a (Canon) printer that sent loads of mush up the mains...took me ages to isolate the strange pulsing noise and I only noticed it changing frequency when someone else was using the printer.

As to flourecent lights...these also. Some low energy lamps are dreadful. You need to experiment with these. Good branded ones are usually OK but some budget types are very bad.

Rich.