View Single Post
Old 17th May 2006, 4:55 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco A22 - Hum at various points on dial. Huh?

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, on which I'd comment as follows:

As to the PC, mine's situated in the house about 15 yards from the workshop, so it never occured to me that it could cause hash. However, it does indeed, so it must be coming down the mains rather than radiating RF. Much better when switched off.

As to the flourescent light, yes, I have two twin tubes, but it only makes a slight difference whether they're on or off. I also have a circular flourescent magnifying lamp which plays havoc!

I've replaced a decoupling cap which had gone OC, fitted an additional 0.1uF to improve the HT decoupling and aligned the set. This has much improved things on Medium and Short waves. The whisltles have disappeared.

However, despite crawling all over the front end switchery, coil continuity, caps trimmers etc, I can't pull in any long-wave stations, albeit I can peak up the coils with a sig genny. (EG, on 1500M). All I get without the genny one is a loud hum where the stations should be.

Something obscure going on, but I'm going to quit while I'm winning -the alternative would be to pull out the front-end coil and switch unit to have a better poke around for any shorts, which is a step too far when there's not much on Long wave anyway.

(BTW, I'm impressed with the short wave performance - very lively!)

(Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I'd bought a new old stock EBL31 which turned out to have a diode to screen short. When replaced with another, the set burst into life big style!).

So thanks once more for the help fellas - much appreciated.

David
G4EBT