View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 11:41 pm   #38
Dual Standard
Hexode

Default Re: IBM PS/2 seems to have got stuck!

From memory all models of PS/2 employed drives with a single (combined power & interface) connector. The only exceptions were the later high end models when fitted with the optional SCSI drives, so plugging just the hard drive in to check the PSU was usually impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontopoftheworld View Post
I've ordered the 27f4166 version of the PSU
Back when the PS/2 was current technology if I came across a PS/2 with the symptoms you describe, after a cursory check that it was nothing silly then I would have replaced the PSU and expected that to fix it. I admit the passage of many years wear & tear does mean that previously unseen component failures can arise but if this was my machine today then I would still replace the power supply first. The model 30 does not have any side ventilation slots cut into the case so running it standing vertical is unlikely to be an issue.

I should perhaps explain that I started at IBM in the late 1970's and spent close on 40 years as a field engineer. By the time the PS/2 arrived on the scene the personal computer was well established both within IBM and at customers so exposure to their 'features' was rather inevitable especially for those of us who were keen to get involved in anything that looked vaguely interesting. This was further encouraged when we all received free copies of OS/2 Warp!

Mike